KoreanAmericanStory.org is soliciting content from writers, journalists, filmmakers, poets and all other content creators. We are seeking work which depicts and captures the experiences of Korean-Americans who immigrated to the U.S. specifically during the 1970’s and 1980’s. These stories can be about individuals or groups and they can be fiction or non-fiction. Our goal is to capture and preserve the stories of, about, and from this generation of Korean-Americans.
The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 abolished the National Origins Formula (the quota system that excluded Asians) which had been in place since 1924. When it went into effect in 1968, it opened the doors to those who had previously been excluded, including Koreans. The chart below shows the number of Koreans who were recorded in the US Census since 1910, and one can see a dramatic increase in the Korean population in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
Census 1910 1920 1930 1940 1950* 1960* 1970 1980 1990 2000 ** 2010 **
Koreans 5,008 6,184 1,871 8,570 0 0 69,130 354,593 798,849 1,228,427 1,706,822
CLICK HERE to see the entire chart of the Korean-American Population from 1910 - 2010
These pioneering Korean-Americans are now in their 70’s and 80’s, and KoreanAmericanStory.org believes that it is imperative to collect their stories and experiences for future generations to cherish.
Fee Schedule for Content
If your content is selected the fee schedule is as follows:
WRITING (2,000 – 5,000 words):
Short Essay, News Article, Fiction, Profile, Poem $200 to $500
VIDEO (3 - 6 minutes):
Interview, profile, news story, original content $200 to $500
Songs, Spoken Word, etc. TBD based on content
Terms and Conditions
• We seek written works and videos of stories that combine compelling narrative with a sense of authenticity that are emotionally engaging. The content you submit must be original and free of copyright violations.
• KoreanAmericanStory.org will maintain exclusivity of the published content for 6 months from the first date of publication. After that, the content may be republished with the acknowledgement that it was originally published on KoreanAmericanStory.org.
• KoreanAmericanStory.org maintains the right to use all or part of the published content indefinitely for marketing and advertising purposes to promote KoreanAmericanStory.org or its programs.
• KoreanAmericanStory.org will have full discretion of determining which content is selected for publishing and the associated fee that will be paid for the content.
• Notification of content selection and fee amount will be communicated within 4 weeks of receipt. Payment will be sent within 30 days of publishing your content.
• Include your name, address, phone number & e-mail address with your content submission.
• A verification of receipt will be emailed within 3 business days.
Thank you and we look forward to learning about Korean American stories that inspire you.